The Lillian Frow Peacock and Eunice Peacock Merrick digital collection includes a selection of photographs dating from the 1860s through the early 1900s, including scenic images of historic Coconut Grove, Miami, and the Everglades, as well as pictures of the Frow, Peacock, Munroe, and other local families.
The Frow and Peacock families were among the first to settle in the Coconut Grove area of Miami. Simeon Frow was appointed as keeper of the Cape Florida Lighthouse on Key Biscayne in 1859. His son John Frow became the keeper in 1868 and was the first person to buy property in Coconut Grove. John’s brother, Joseph Frow was the assistant keeper and helped to establish the first school in Coconut Grove. Joseph’s wife was a charter member and first treasurer of the Coconut Grove Housekeepers' Club, and Lillian Frow was their daughter.
Charles and Isabella Peacock emigrated from England in 1870. Their son Alfred Peacock married Lillian Frow, and their daughter Eunice Isabella Peacock married George Merrick, the founder of Coral Gables. In 1882, with land purchased from John Frow, the Peacocks built the first hotel in the area, the Bay View House, later known as the Peacock Inn. The new hotel was a popular meeting place for guests such as Commodore Ralph Munroe, Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Munroe and Miss Flora McFarlane, founder of the Coconut Groves Housekeepers' Club.
Visit the Lillian Frow Peacock & Eunice Peacock Merrick Collection finding aid to view a detailed description of the collection and learn more about Coconut Grove history and the Frow, Peacock, and Merrick families.