det We fyade tyou.
Trinity Cathedral, the oldest congregation in the City of Miami, was first
assembled by Bishop William Crane Gray in 1893. Organization followed in 1896
and a small wooden structure was erected for a church building on a site of
land given by Mrs. Julia Tuttle at what is now N.E. 2nd Avenue and 2nd Street.
A larger edifice was built in 1912 at the same intersection, but across from the
original. The present church was completed in 1926.
It is very unusual for a congregation approaching its 75th anniversary
to have had only six Rectors. This speaks well for the stability of the congregation and the leadership of the clergy who have served here. To the Reverend
Nathaniel Barnwell Fuller, we are indebted for the strength and spirit of
optimism he gave to a small group of Episcopalians in the pioneer days of
Miami. The Reverend James Cope, Ph.D., built the second church anticipating
the growth of the city. The ministry of the Reverend Albert Lester Hazlett,
D.D., left its mark of excellence on the members through his pastoral concern.
The Rector of great vision was the Reverend Robert Theodore Phillips who,
seeing the trend of Miami's growth to the Miramar section and desiring to
build a church equal in beauty to the churches of the North, encouraged architect Harold Hastings Mundy to design the church we worship in today. With
the great church came the great debt. It was during the aftermath of the
economic depression in this country that the Reverend George Irvine Hilier,
S.T.D., accepted the challenge to pay off an indebtedness of over $200,000.00.
Dr. Hilier accomplished this task by the example of his own integrity and, in
1946, Trinity Church was at last consecrated. Holy Comforter Church, today
a strong parish, began as a chapel of Trinity Church to accommodate communicants and Sunday School children living in the southwest section of town.
It is to the credit of Dr. Hilier that this mission was not closed and its assets
sold to pay the debts of the Mother Church. Dr. Hiller's rectorship also
provided the new parish house, completed debt free in 1957, and at the time
of his retirement, in 1963, he had made the interior of the church more beautiful through the completion of the stained glass windows, mosaic arch and
We serve the Diocese of Southeast Florida, which is one of the newest
dioceses of the Episcopal Church having been certified by General Convention
January 1, 1970. On Easter Day of that same year, the first Bishop of our new
Diocese, the Rt. Reverend James L. Duncan, D.D., proclaimed this parish
church his Cathedral. The Diocesan Offices are located on property south of
and adjoining the Cathedral yard.
You may wish to visit the Cathedral Bookstore in the parish house and
browse among the book selection and many gift items of more than usual
interest. The Bookstore is open daily from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. and on
Saturdays and Sundays until Noon.
ARCHITECTURE AND APPOINTMENTS
The narthex, or vestibule, has a floor of Spanish tile in which are set
various symbols of the Christian faith. The tiles were hand-painted before
glazing and recent cleaning has restored their original bright colors. Please
examine the narthex screen made of chestnut wood with its latice designs
and gilded cherubs.